People & Stories / Gente y Cuentos
Job Type: Full Time
Address: 295 Eggerts Crossing Road, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
People and Stories / Gente y Cuentos is dedicated to opening doors to literature for new audiences. Through oral readings and rigorous discussions of enduring short stories, we invite underserved participants to fresh understandings of themselves, of others, and of the world. The short stories we select are rich in artistry, exploring life’s complications, wonders, and ambiguities. Program participants learn not only from the text of these stories, as a solitary reader does, and not only from the facilitator, who is trained to avoid the typical “teacher” role of one who imparts knowledge to others. Participants learn from their own interpretations, from the differing ideas offered by others in the room, and from the dialogue that emerges as readers examine and build on one another’s responses. As a result, individuals can question stereotypes with increased awareness, communicate with empowered voices, and refine critical and analytical thinking skills to expand a sense of possibility. Using literature as a spark, the People & Stories / Gente y Cuentos method ignites a life-long love of reading. We serve both English and Spanish speakers, and we integrate our programs with partner organizations focused on critical life transitions:
- Prisoners moving to probation
- Halfway house residents re-joining community
- At-risk youth in alternative education programs
- Adults enrolled in adult education programs
- Immigrants working toward citizenship
- Veterans re-entering civilian society
- Seniors moving to new stages
- Parents who are members of any of the above groups.
As the leader of People and Stories / Gente y Cuentos, the Executive Director will implement policies of the ten-member Board of Directors and ensure the fiscal and administrative health of the organization. S/he will manage the day to day operations of the organization including
- recruiting, training and supervising program facilitators
- recruiting, training and supervising staff
- maintaining and establishing connections with partnering organizations
- producing financial reports and budgets
- identifying and securing funding from government, foundation and corporate entities
- working with Board members to cultivate and maintain individual donor relationships
The ideal candidate will have a passion for great literature; experience with non-profit leadership, grant-writing, and fundraising; skills related to training and group facilitation; and a strong commitment to People and Stories / Gente y Cuentos’ mission and method. You will find more information about our mission and programs at peopleandstories.org.
Process: Send cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Application Deadline: May 4, 2018 for position to begin in September 2018.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
People and Stories/Gente y Cuentos is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment opportunities without regard to race, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We expressly prohibit any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.